Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Winter Soldiers Tell Their Heroic Tales: Jon Michael Turner


Winter Soldiers deliver the boons of their repeated trips to Hell and back
JON MICHAEL TURNER: Good afternoon. My name is Jon Michael Turner. I currently reside in Burlington, Vermont. I served with Kilo Company, 3rd Battalion, 8th Marines as an automatic machine gunner. There’s a term, “Once a Marine, always a Marine.” But there’s also the term, “Eat the apple, F the corps, I don’t work for you no more.” [After telling the story of his trip to Hell and back, he finishes his own dressing down by saying:] I am no longer the monster that I once was. Thank you.

BRAVO!
And even Whitman would envy the man's poetic form. "That being said;" he presents his terrible facts for the world to see with that repeated phrase. "That being said," that's what I did, and for that I am sorry. He said testified for the same reason we all do it (take that plunge into the depths with only our blind inner vision leading us): to bring back a redeeming boon. Mr. Turner is a hero in the best sense of that greatly overused honorific.

There's nothing like the power of this kind of dramaturgical change in the known universe. But that hasn't stopped the APA from resorting to torture to try to invent an artificial substitute for an experience of the sublime capable of flipping enemies into allies like flipping a switch.

I guarantee you, that's what they're after. It's beyond a crime against humanity: it's a crime against Divinity as it passes through we humans.

I mean, it's just bad juju, dammit!

Dave "knowbuddhau" Parker
(son of a master chief, USN, with veterans going back to the Civil War)
Within the sound of the station horn that announces 8am and sunset on Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, under the growling dogs of war all day and night, aka
Oak Harbor, WA

No comments: